Back to Work

I have to go back to work. Financially, we are a two-income family. We have a mortgage, a car payment, student loans and more. We have lived on one income and survived but made major sacrifices and to be honest — we aren’t a position to do it again for a while. I have run the numbers, just to see, and the math dictates that I return to my job.

The good news? I WANT to go back to work. Even if I didn’t have to, I would choose to. And knowing that is liberating.

I have spent every day of my 12-week maternity leave soaking up the special, can’t-get-back time with my angel. I have grown her from a 7-pound, 7-ounce floppy little thing to a strong, 13-pound, head-held-high girl. She smiles, she coos, she knows my voice…and I know that I have had a lasting impact on her by being her near-sole provider for this 4th trimester.

Now it’s time for me to move into my new role as a working mama. Lest you think this is just another parry in the ugly world of mommy wars, my choice is MY choice. Being a parent is hard whether you work at home, work from home, work out of the house or anything in between. No matter what you do, you’ll feel some regrets, or so I assume. And truly, who has TIME to worry about what other people are doing?

So today, I choose to spend 9 hours away from my girl, knowing that it will make us both happier. She is in incredibly capable hands, and will get to spend her day socializing, learning things, playing and becoming her own little spirit. I will get to spend my day working on adult projects, socializing and completing projects that make me feel like I’m making a difference — developing my own spirit.

And then, when we’re together, I’ll enjoy every moment (errrr, I probably won’t enjoy every moment, but I’ll be thankful for them no matter what!). I’ll look forward to our time at home, I think I’ll make more of an effort to make that time count and I’ll wake up and start the whole routine over again.

Maternity leave has taught me that as much as I love my child (and I do, deeply and to my core), I am a better mom when I work. I hope she grows up to understand why I made this choice and what advantages it gave her.

Comments

This is definitely something I’ve thought about when having kids in the future. I know myself – my personality, my work background, and how I feel when I’m at home a lot. I want to work outside of home part time when I have kids. My partner and I hope to sort something out where we can each work part time and meet our expenses, and spend our free time home with baby. It’s our ideal.

Oh, my darling, darling daughter…I know you and hub will find a way to make it all work…life is hard to juggle, no matter what path taken. Big hugs to all three of you!

Good for you Katy! I respect your decision so much. My mom was a full time working mom and she was easily the best mom in the world. I never questioned her love for me or whether or not I was a priority to her. I fully believe that every woman and family is different, and you have to do what’s best for YOU and your family. Good luck today! :)

Very well said! I always admired my mom because she worked so hard yet found time to always be there for us. Good luck on your first day back :)

So well said, as always, Katy! Enjoy your first day back on the job today. Since I just recently started a new, full time job and am due in July, this is already something that I think about all the time. Even though I’ll most likely be in the same boat as you, it’s so nice to hear your perspective on it.
    Enjoy those 9 hours today…and have a blast once you’re back home with that cutie of yours. ;)

Love this and totally relate. I love my days at work and my days home with my son. When I didn’t like my job (the one I went back to after maternity leave) it was a lot harder, but now that I am doing what I love, I absolutely love being a working mom and I too think I’m a better mom because of it. :)

Danielle says

This is my first time reading and I’m sure glad I picked today!!! That is an awesome way to word that and I’m so glad you can be honest!!!! I hope you enjoy going back!!!!

I love the thought behind this. And I hope you really do feel this way because it is encouraging to those women who want to be mothers one day (like me) and go back and forth on whether it’s “best” to stay at home or go to work. Ultimately it is up to each family…no way is better than the other. Children grow up just fine with or without a parent at home full-time!

I hope you have a great first day back! :)

You know I get exactly what you are talking about! I hope you had a great day today. Every day won’t be great – but the balance gets easier and easier! It always helps when you have awesome coworkers to go back to and a job that you love. If you ever want to chat about working mom stuff – you know where to find me!

How I feel exactly! I’ve been back for about four months, and I have days where I still wish I could stay home with him. It gets to the point where my husband has to break it down for me again… that I’m BETTER when I’m working. I just had a two week Christmas break and it will be rough going back tomorrow. BUT it’s what I’m supposed to do. It’s me. I like being out of the house during the day, even though my “adult” world still has me surrounded by children. :) Glad you are doing what is right for you!