Tomorrow is the big day! February 1st is the start of a new month and a blank slate for your blog. Enter: the 28-Day Blog Challenge.
We all make blogging resolutions, to-do lists and wish lists. But how many of us actually commit to putting some of those goals into action? For 28 days, we’re going to spend time reworking, refreshing and rethinking our blogs, social media spaces, community and more.
The changes can be big — go self hosted! create a new header! make some new Twitter lists! — or small — comment on a new blog! update your about page! check your blog for bad links! — and the beauty of the challenge is that you decide what to do.
Every time you make a change, head to the official #28DBC Challenge hub and let everyone know what you did, with a comment, a photo or a video. That’s also the place to go to ask questions, find new blogs and celebrate the great work that we’re all doing.
But if you need a few ideas, how about these prompts?
- Add/update categories (BONUS: Add/update menus and navigation bars)
- Update and enhance your About page (BONUS: take new headshot and add to sidebar)
- Update and enhance your Contact page
- Add to/update your subscription options (BONUS: Add email feature)
- Update and enhance your sharing options (BONUS: Make sure that your Twitter name is pre-populated in any sharing tools you have)
- Find your five most popular posts and edit for grammar, broken links, add new information/photos (BONUS: Do this for your 10 most popular posts)
- Update your menus/navigation bar
- Update profile photo/avatar (BONUS: Do this on all platforms)
- Update header (BONUS: Do this on all platforms)
- Review and refresh bios, including URLS (BONUS: Do this on all platforms)
- Review and refresh follows/friends
- Create/edit lists (BONUS: Do this on all platforms)
- Edit your sharing settings so that your Twitter and other handles are pre-populated (BONUS: consider adding a relevant hashtag)
- Add/edit your Gravatar
- Add/update your email signature to include blog URL and other platform links
- Add a canned response (or more than one!) to address common questions you get
- Create/edit your Google Reader folders for better organization
- Create/edit your media kit (BONUS: Create/edit your cover letter)
- Set up an email filter so all relevant emails go to a new inbox/group
- Set up a new form or spreadsheet to take questions/feedback on your website
- Design and print new business cards with your current information
- Comment on five blog posts (from separate websites!)
- Write a post that includes links to five other posts that you found interestesting
- Offer five #FF (Follow Friday) suggestions on Twitter
- Link to five of your favorite Facebook pages on FB
- Find five local blogs
- Find three relevant hashtags for your blog/interests and add them to your Tweetdeck or other social media listening station
- Select your favorite blog and email the owner — tell him/her why you like it, what you admire most and offer some unsolicited POSITIVE comments
If you need more ideas, you can also check out the Blogging Homework series I did, which has lots of to-dos.
Have questions? Need suggestions on how you can take part in the Challenge? Let me know — here or on the Challenge page.