A year or so ago, I put together a list of things I wanted to accomplish before I turned 35 (I’m 33 now, turning 34 in March). I had lots of goals on there that would be hard to achieve — completing a half Ironman triathlon, publishing an e-book, traveling to five new states — but two that I knew were within my reach.
1) Get my group exercise instructor certificate (in progress)
2) Find some way to really help people who want to start or enhance their healthy living journeys (and pay forward all of the support that has helped me over the years)
The second item is one of the reasons that I transitioned away from the #FitBlog Chats on Twitter…I really wanted to focus my time and energy on new ways to connect with the incredibly inspirational people and stories I got to know every Tuesday night at 9 p.m.
And I think I’ve found it. I’m joining a team of thought leaders in a project called “Yardstick.”
With Yardstick, members select the weight loss leader of their choice and attend a live one-hour streaming meeting each week. Yardstick leaders share motivating insights for success during the meeting and members interact by sharing weigh-in results, offering tips, and setting goals for the following week.
The weekly meetings will have different topics/themes, set by each leader, and my goal will be to give members inspiration, specific action items, support and a safe place to share concerns, questions and success stories.
The other leaders include:
So why do I think I have any business trying to help people get healthy? After all, I’m not a dietitian or a trainer — I’m just a regular girl who gained weight, lost weight, gained more weight and finally lost weight, got healthy and fit and found a way to make it all a lifestyle, not a diet.
- I lost 40 pounds going to weekly meetings.
- I launched and ran one of the most successful weekly Twitter chats devoted to health and wellness.
- I have tried just about every fad and quick-fix diet out there and have finally found that clean eating works for me.
- I also believe in moderation in all things — including moderation. Because life is better with mayonnaise.
- I’m a busy mom whose attitude toward her body has changed, especially as I face being a role model to my daughter.
- I have counted calories. And given up on it. But I still struggle with that old behavior, so I know how hard it can be.
- I finally understand that weight is just a number (I’m a two-elve) and that the scale doesn’t always tell the entire story.
My first meeting is this Tuesday, October 15th, at 9 p.m. ET. This is a paid program — but for $4.99/week, I hope you’ll see it as a pretty low-risk situation. I do make some money from this, but I really just want to try and help YOU get to where I am…happy, healthy, confident and content with my body just the way it is.
When you sign up, you will get some really good tools — you can track your success (however YOU define it), have access to private chat rooms, priority access to me as well as a weekly touchpoint to help you stay accountable and on track. You can come once or every week from here until…whenever. There are no signup fees, no contracts and you can cancel at any time.
You can sign up here. If you have ANY questions — about the program, the price, the topics, etc. — please leave me a comment or send me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org).