This post is sponsored by Summer’s Eve®. Yes, the feminine hygiene products. Giggle away. I did, when I first received the cleansing cloths that I featured in this post. The truth is, though: Summer’s Eve® is a lot more than what you might think! I’ve had a lot of fun getting to know the brand and its mission to make our lives easier, and to give us the confidence to do all of the active stuff we love to do. I hope you check them out!
I’ve never been a really squeamish or even super-private person (hello: I’m a blogger). But typing the words feminine hygiene does feel a little funny, I’ll admit!
Having said that, after two kids, feeling confident about my body, and more importantly, feeling fresh, is a daily challenge. Because ladies (and gents), here’s the reality about what happens post-partum:
- Your body — your actual bones and organs — have to shift back into place after expanding to make room for a growing fetus. Your uterus literally has to shrink back to its starting size. Look at this video!
(That almost gives me heartburn again just watching it.)
- You lose weight. Some people, more quickly than others, of course, but you lose quite a bit in the first few weeks. That does not mean your body goes back to the way it was — hello, saggy skin and stretch marks.
- You may lose your hair. Like, a lot of it. In clumps.
- You may experience short- or long-term bladder control issues. Even in the best cases, I promise that jumping, running and sneezing will never be the same.
- You may have mood swings (or the very serious issues of post-partum depression and/or anxiety, both of which should be expressed to a doctor or medical professional, STAT).
Add in things like: little to no sleep each night, a little person attached to your breast all day long and still trying to work and work out, and you may not be feeling your best.
Plus, just carrying around the kiddos can make you sweat, right?
So, I now carry the Summer’s Eve® cleansing clothes with me in my diaper bag and gym bag, so I can get a quick refresh when I need it. They’re individually wrapped, hypoallergenic and alcohol-free and wipe away odor-causing bacteria.
OK, enough about me. Let’s look at some other awesome active moms!
Katie (@momslrb) is one of my very favorite people to follow on social media. A mom of two, she’s training for a major triathlon and posts super-motivational photos and videos with her kids.
TC (@tc.running.lately) is a new mom, a runner and a yogini. I love her posts (and her baby is so sweet!).
Glamnellie — @glamnellie aka Brooklyn Active Mama — always looks so happy and proud in her photos. It makes me smile right back at the screen!
Lori & Michelle (@PurelyTwins) always inspire me to find ways to work fitness into every single day. Lori is an amazing mom of two and Michelle is one of the best aunts I’ve ever seen!
Gaukhar Akhmetova-Atherton (@gasya) is Cirque Du Soleil artist and mother of two and while I’ll never be able to do what she does, it always takes my breath away!
Jacqueline Carly (@jacquelinecarly) is an absolute beast. I LOVE how silly and relatable she is, while still kicking some serious butt.
Erin Kreitz Shirey (@erinkreitzshirey) is the ultimate Inspirator. I love her, her kids and her entire attitude toward fitness and wellness.
Last but certainly not least (because I could list 100 women and still not scratch the surface!), Jess (@blondeponytail). She’s awesome. Her two kids are adorable. And I desperately want her arms.
I hope this inspires you to start and keep moving, whatever that looks like in your life! Of course, I hope you’ll also follow me @kwidrick, and if you do, say hello!