I’m away from technology for a couple of weeks, but I didn’t want to leave you hanging. So for 14 days, I’m issuing you some homework. That’s right — you get to work while I get to relax. You can follow all of the assignments here. If you have questions, feel free to post in the comments…It may take me a while to respond, but I’ll be reading everything when I return!
Over the next 14 days, I’m going to assign you some tasks that I think will help you streamline, organize, market and ENJOY your blog a little more. For the first five assignments, you’ll be asked to review your blog itself. You’ll get the weekend off, then five more assignments that are focused on helping you build your readership and social media community.
Day 1: About and Contact Pages
After your main landing page (your Web address), in almost every case, your About page will be the second most visited. The Contact page may be the most important, though. So you need to make sure that both pages are easy to find, up to date and set the right tone for the rest of your website.
A few key points for your About page:
- Include a good (and recent) photo of yourself
- Tell a story
- Use headings and clear formatting
- Share what sets you apart — what is your blog’s main focus? Why should people read it?
- Consider sharing a posting or editorial calendar, if you use one (example: Recipe Mondays, Product Review Tuesdays)
My About page, for example:
A few key points for your Contact page:
- Include as much information as you are comfortable sharing — your phone number, your email address, your social media links and more
- If you’d like, you can use a contact form (plugin or embedded form), although I highly recommend also including your email address for people who want to get in touch with you ASAP
See my Contact page, for example.
The bottom line is that you want those two pages to be perfect portfolios for your website, and you want them to be easy to find. So once you’ve updated them, make sure that they’re in your navigation bar, or at least on the sidebar.