What’s that? You didn’t know today was a holiday?
No worries. I’ve collected some news about today’s celebration, as well as some ways I think you can mark the day.
First of all — a quick definition. Mashable (my very favorite resource for social media and technology news) sponsors Social Media Day to celebrate what it calls the “revolution of media becoming social.”
People all over the country are taking part, both in person and online. Here’s a collection of some of the fun ways you can follow the celebration:
- Follow @mashSMday on Twitter
- Follow the #SMday hashtag on Twitter
- Find one of the local Social Media Day pages on Facebook
- Find a local Social Media Day meetup on Meetup.com
- Watch the live stream of Social Media Day celebrations all over the world
- Track photos shared on Instagram with the tag “SMDay”
And there are some really cool projects already in the works…
- Major League Baseball has a special All-Star themed celebration for all of the teams that are playing games today (“Baseball to Celebrate Social Media Day“)
- Burlington is hosting a Tweetup, complete with a scavenger hunt!
- Richmond is launching a special hashtag social experiment AND giving out free drinks…win win!
- Winnipeg is hosting a series of presentations and seminars on using social media
- Cincinnati, apparently the most socially-savvy city, will be basking in its glory (and probably thanking Chad Ochocinco)
- Dublin is signing and unveiling its mayoral scroll making Social Media Day an official celebration
- Bermuda is giving out free lobster!
- Bahrain is holding an appreciation night