I love/hate end-of-year blog recaps. I tend to skip over them in my reader (sorry!) because while I know it’s exciting for the blogger to look back at his/her accomplishments, best memories and more, it’s not all that exciting for me to take that look back with you.
(As a TV producer, I must say that the end-of-year videos were the best because they usually ran about 4:00 and filled a major news hole!)
But I totally understand why people create them. It’s because we take pride in where we’ve been, how we got there and where we are going next.
While I’m not listing my favorite links of 2012 or spending too much time reminiscing over specific events, I just wanted to take a moment and acknowledge the best year of my life…so far.
- In January, I found out I was pregnant. It was the most exciting and scariest moment of my life to see the two pink lines on the test, and shaped the rest of my year. I spent 41 weeks growing my perfect little creature, experiencing all of the pregnant “firsts”: the ultrasounds, the flutter kicks, the sickness (ugh) and then an amazing delivery in October. Without going into gory detail, it was the perfect way to start 2012…and I now know there is a reason I didn’t get pregnant before then. I was meant to have my Audrey!
- I committed to yoga in a major way — I became more flexible in body and spirit, and overcame some of my fears (not all — I still can’t get into handstand!). I also stayed active at the gym, at Dance Trance but not so much with running. And I found peace with that, too.
- Professionally, I found a lot of success — hard-earned, if I may so so (not just for me, but for the incredible team that I work with). We launched new television shows, a magazine, multiple websites and brought on clients that we’re proud of and proud to work with. It’s not easy being a small, entrepreneurial business, but we believe we can make a difference, so we will.
- I made new friends, reconnected with others and decided to gently end some relationships that no longer fulfill me. I feel content at the end of 2012 knowing that the people in my life love and support me (even when they think I’m nuts).
- My marriage is stronger than ever, thanks to a lot of love, patience and hard work. Truly, Lucas is my best friend. I am so proud of who he is and who we are together. And he is absolutely the most amazing dad.
This time last year, I wasn’t my best self. I was in limbo on some personal and professional goals and that made me feel at sea some days. I remember fervently wishing that 2011 would bring the end of the uncertainty and that 2012 would fulfill all of my happy wishes. It did, and I’m so glad.
If you’re making the same wish this New Year, please know that my heart and best wishes are with you. I’m taking some time today to reflect, meditate and give thanks for everything in my life. If you need me to keep you in my thoughts, please feel free to comment, tweet or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and I’ll add you to the list.