This post is sponsored by Summer’s Eve®.
I love football.
Sundays during the season are sacred in my house, and just about everything revolves around being on the couch from about 12:30pm on, just so we can watch the games.
We do our chores early, we turn down plans that would take us away from the TV, we get dressed in our jerseys (Lions for Lucas, the kids and the dog and Patriots for me), we make big football snack spreads and we are often hoarse at the end of the night due to all of the screaming and shouting and cheering.
(Side note: I can’t believe my chunkadunk baby has turned into such a skinny, tall young lady!)
So, the Super Bowl is a big deal.
But it’s a long game. It’s extended thanks to commercials and halftime shows, and because there is so much on the line for both teams, plays are scrutinized and reviewed and referees may take 30 seconds to talk something over instead of their standard 5.
Here’s a way to make it a little more fun, and to burn off some calories at the same time!
15 ways to work out while watching the Super Bowl
- At the end of each quarter: one jumping jack for every point scored so far
- At halftime: build an alphabet workout spelling out the name of the team that’s in the lead (see Sarah’s post on Creating a Better Tomorrow for instructions)
- Offensive penalty: 10 squats
- Defensive penalty: 10 jump knee tucks
- Touchdown: 6 push-ups (bonus points if you try this kick-through variety)
- Touchdown dance: replicate it!
- Field goal: 3 burpees
- Safety: 2 30-second plank holds
- Interception: 5 forward lunges/leg
- Fumble: 5 reverse lunges/leg
- Challenge flag: Hold a wall squat until the decision is announced (take breaks as needed BUT whoever holds it longest gets to take the best seat in front of the TV!)
- TV commercial featuring puppies: 5 tricep dips (use the couch or a stable chair)
- Announcers use the phrase “establish a running game”: 10 mountain climbers
- Announcers use the phrase “ice the kicker”: 10 supermans
- Announcers use the phrase “keep the drive alive: run in place for 30 seconds
Phew! Are you sweaty already?!
I’ve put the workout into a special image that I think it makes it even easier to follow if you want to pull it up on your phone or just save for later, so click the pin button below and bookmark it on Pinterest!
I honestly don’t know why football has such a reputation as being a game only for the guys. I grew up watching, I know the rules better than many of my male friends and I know I’m not alone. In 2014, the Washington Post reported that women make up an estimated 45 percent of the NFL’s fans and in 2011, ESPN cited a study that showed that more women watched the most recent Super Bowl game than watched the 1994 Winter Olympic figure skating competition (the one starring Nancy Kerrigan).
So, we’re watching. We’re cheering. We’re loving the sport.
Speaking of being a woman…we may have the same love for football as the guys but obviously, there are some big differences in other areas.
If you’re watching the game and doing these exercises, you’re going to sweat — I purposely included some tough moves to get your heart rate up and your muscles working to fatigue! That’s great, because it means on a day where a lot of people are just indulging and watching television, you’re actually getting healthier. And because it’s all worked into the game, it will feel more like a party activity than a workout (best of both worlds!).
But you still have to sit next to your friends and loved ones, so here’s a tip for staying fresh all day long.
I truly love the Summer’s Eve® products. You can keep the Cleansing Cloths right in your purse or even in your pocket (so you can take them into the bathroom discreetly) and they’re nicely packaged so you could even leave them out for guests, perhaps in a small basket with other items like mouthwash, deodorant or hairspray.
They’re safe to use on sensitive skin and while they’re specially formulated to work as feminine care products, the entire line — including the Cleansing Washes I use in the shower — can be used on any part of the body.
You can actually use a special tool right on the website to see which product is the best fit for your needs.
So, get sweaty and know that you can get and stay fresh quickly. Happy football watching!